Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Stylez G. White, Kiffin, and Martin Fennelly

By JC De La Torre


I like Tampa Tribune's Martin Fennelly's writing style. Sure, his prose isn't perfect (like I can talk) and his jokes sometimes make little sense but for me he's typically an enjoyable read. I like the dry humor he brings to the serious world of sports writing. I find him witty at times and hilarious others. However, with all that said, I truly believe he crossed the line in today's article concerning Jon Gruden and Joey Galloway. Oh, it wasn't the substance of the article, which primarily I agree with - I mean if Jon Gruden is the offensive mastermind he believes himself to be, he should be able to find a way to get a weapon like Joey Galloway on the football field. No, it was how Fennelly ended his column today.

Fennelly wrote in today's Tampa Tribune, "We can't always explain Gruden's world, where a Luke McCown can be good enough to back up Garcia, but when Garcia gets hurt, McCown isn't good enough and gets to back up Griese. Tell me that logic doesn't make your eyes cross. Then again, there's always a chance Bryant will get hurt. All the Bucs are doing it these days. Don't deactivate those street clothes, Joey."

I emphasized the section I had a problem with. If you've ever been in a locker room the one thing you never ever say, write or even think about - and that's a player getting injured. Don't get me wrong, I've never believed in jinxes, karma, or anything of that ilk, its just that that type of thing just isn't done. I don't believe because Fennelly wrote something, it will happen to Bryant...hell, if I believed that than this entire blog entry would consist of "JC De La Torre will win the first Florida power ball...JC De La Torre will win the first Florida power ball..." but its just not something you do if you write about sports. So Martin, I think you fumbled today and you owe an apology to Antonio Bryant for putting the fu-fu-gato on him.


Speaking of the Tribune, nice to see Buccaneer beat writer Roy Cummings caught up with the rest of us in knowing that the Bucs still control their own destiny. As you, my few but beloved readers, know, we had the entire playoff scenarios broken down for you moments after the Giants whiffed against the Dallas Cowboys in our TBSB Buccaneers NFC Playoff Scenario Madness - Week 16, deep dive anaylsis of the NFC playoff picture and where the Buccaneers figured into it as only you can find it here. As John McClane would say, Roy, "Welcome to tha party, pal!". Now if we could only get ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio up to speed we'll be all set.

In other Bucs news, defensive end Greg White has officially changed his name to Stylez G. White. Why? Who the hell knows...White told the Tampa Tribune that he picked his new name from a character in the 1985 movie "Teen Wolf," starring Michael J. Fox.

"That was his best friend's name in the movie," White said. "I always liked that name. "

Okie dokie, Mr. Stylez G. White, I'm sure your momma is proud.

Finally, Monte Kiffin made it official, he will be leaving the Buccaneers after this season concludes to join his son Lane at the University of Tennessee. Is it any coincidence that the decline of the Buccaneer defense has coincided with the rumor of Kiffin's departure? This isn't to suggest Kiffin is working any less as hard as he has in the past or that the players are not playing as hard for him down the stretch, I just find it a bit interesting that the time line seems to intertwine.

Hopefully, now that the proverbial cat is out of the bag, everyone can concentrate on football, mainly LaDanian Tomlinson.

No comments: