Friday, January 16, 2009

Harvin Leaves, Spikes Stays

By JC De La Torre

Surprising no one, Florida Wide Receiver/Running Back/Phenom Percy Harvin has taken his fleet feet to the National Football League, while the middle of the great Gator defense that shutdown one of the most prolific offenses in college football history, middle linebacker Brandon Spikes, is coming back for his Senior season.

"I will have a lot of great memories from my time at Florida, but the championships we won in 2006 and 2008 will be at the top of my list," Harvin said in a prepared statement, ''When it is all said and done, I wanted to win. I wanted to be a part of championship teams. We did that at Florida and I had a great group of coaches, teammates and medical and strength staff that helped make that happen. I will always be a Gator and look forward to watching them play next year on Saturdays."

Brandon Spikes elected to return to Florida which means the Gators will return all 11 starters from the 08 Championship squad.

"It was a tough decision for me and my family," Spikes said in a statement. "I just felt like it was the right choice to come back."

Harvin leaves the Gators with 133 receptions for 1,929 yards and 13 touchdowns, while rushing the ball 194 times for 1,852 yards with 19 touchdowns. His 32 touchdowns is tops all-time for Gator wide receivers.

We'll miss Percy's slash and dash style of running and big plays during big games ability. While Florida will definitely miss him, Urban Meyer's recruiting ability should bring us the next Florida Phenom to fill his very fast shoes. As for Percy, we wish him the best of luck in the NFL (Buccaneers...are you listening?)

No comments: