Saturday, November 15, 2008

Caddy's Comeback a Long, Tough Road

By JC De La Torre



There was just an absolutely terrific article in the St. Pete Times by columnist Gary Shelton today about the long, hard road back for Cadillac Williams. There were nights of doubt, tears - its just gut wrenching stuff.


"I'm human,'' he told the Times, "To be honest with you, yeah, the doubts were there. There were nights when I would just wonder if I would ever be able to play this game that I love so much again. The first four months were really tough. There was all this speculation that I wouldn't be able to make it back. I'm sure the Bucs wondered. When I came back in December, I had lost my thigh. It wasn't as big around as my arm. My knee wouldn't bend past 95 percent. I'm not going to lie. There were definitely some doubts.

If you would see me, I wouldn't show it. But I was really going through it. At night, when I was by myself was the worst time. Yeah, I would cry. Sometimes, I would ask, 'Lord, why me?' My mom helped me through the process. She was there every day, all day.''


Cadillac will likely be inactive for Sunday's game against Minnesota, as the team is trying to ease him back into the lineup and co-starters Earnest Graham and Warrick Dunn are a go for Sunday. I for one, can't wait to don that #24 and become Cadillac again.

JC De La Torre is an author of Science Fiction/Fantasy and other realms of Speculative Fiction - check out his latest works at JC Delatorre.com

No comments: